Google Search

Google
 

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Australia reducing labor shortages through skilled immigration

New data released by immigration authorities in Australia show a 27 percent increase in its temporary skilled migration program for 2007-08 financial year.

According to Immigration Minister Chris Evans, the increase in the number of temporary 457 visas highlighted the importance of the program to Australian employers in delivering skilled labor from overseas

A total of 110,570 temporary visas were granted to foreign workers and their dependents in 2007-08 compared to 87,310 the previous year. The number of primary visa holders increased from 46,680 in 2006-07 to 58,050 in 2007-08.

New South Wales had the largest number of 457 visas granted with a total of 20,480 primary 457 visa holders, followed by Western Australia at 11,800 primary visa holders.

81 percent of foreign workers holding temporary 457 visas were employed in professional occupations and highly skilled jobs. The top three occupations were computing professionals, registered nurses, and business and information professionals.

Nearly 25 percent of 457 visa holders in 2007-08 came from the United Kingdom. They were followed by India at 14 percent, the Philippines at 9 percent, and the US, South Africa and China at 6 percent each.

The 457 temporary visa allows employers to hire overseas workers for periods between three months and four years. However many choose to remain in Australia permanantly. In 2007-08, 25,000 457 visa holders became permanent residents, an increase of 30 percent over the previous year.

Evans stated that minimum salary levels for 457 visa holders will rise at the end of the summer.

"Minimum Salary Levels for subclass 457 visa holders will increase by 3.8 per cent from August 1 after remaining frozen for more than two years," Evans stated in a release.


Junaid

Migration Agent Registration Number: 0964018

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Junaid,I just came across your blog and it seems very helpful.So is there a way that I can contact you or where can I find your email,as I need some help.

Junaid Noor said...

@Ravindra

********************

Hey Junaid,I just came across your blog and it seems very helpful.So is there a way that I can contact you or where can I find your email,as I need some help.

******************

You can contact me at sjunaidn@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Junaid,

What's the difference between the SOL and the MODL?

Can you be qualified under one but not the other?

IS social worker in demand? I see that it is under SOL but not MODL..will this mean I am not eligible under GSM (independent),though my degree has been assessed positively?

Thanks!

Junaid Noor said...

@^^

*****************

Hi Junaid,

What's the difference between the SOL and the MODL?

Can you be qualified under one but not the other?

IS social worker in demand? I see that it is under SOL but not MODL..will this mean I am not eligible under GSM (independent),though my degree has been assessed positively?

Thanks!

**********************


The difference between SOL and MODL is that you get extra bonus points for MODL.

Depending upon your situation, you can get 20 or 15 bonus points.

You can find MODL on the following URL

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/skilled-occupations/occupations-in-demand.htm

If your profession is on the SOL, you can still apply for GSM 175 and 176.

You need to have at least one year work experience and a positive skills assessment from the concerned assessing body.

You also at least need to have achieved band 6 in all modules of IELTS to be able to apply for 175 and 176 under your profession.

For some professions like plumber, barber, hair dresser, electrician, the English language requirement is only band 5 in all modules.

Kind Regards

Junaid

Anonymous said...

Hi Junaid,

I need some advice, i'm in Aus on a Working Hol Visa, and my current employer wants to sponsor me. I think the easiest way to do this is a 457 Visa, but the position is an Accounts Assistant, i'm training to be an Accountant, which is on the SOL but Accounts Assistant is not, is it likely that I would succeed in getting a 457 visa?

Junaid Noor said...

@^^

***********************

Hi Junaid,

I need some advice, i'm in Aus on a Working Hol Visa, and my current employer wants to sponsor me. I think the easiest way to do this is a 457 Visa, but the position is an Accounts Assistant, i'm training to be an Accountant, which is on the SOL but Accounts Assistant is not, is it likely that I would succeed in getting a 457 visa?


****************

The best way would be to ask your employer to change the title to Accountant rather then Accounts Assistant.

I am not very clear about temporary work visas as I normally deal with general skilled permanent migration.

Please contact Dr Arun Garg, www.auslead.com for a clear answer.

Kind Regards

Junaid