Google Search

Google
 

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Jobs, Study, University, Life etc

I started this blog as an effort to help other people understand Australia migration and how people can migrate to Australia. However, lately I have been receiving a large volume of questions where people ask me questions like

  1. I am an IT professional with X yrs of experience. What is the minimum pay salary I will get when I land in Australia on the first day of my arrival?
  2. I am planning to study in university ABC in a course XYZ. What is the reputation of university XYZ and what are the job prospects of a person who has completed course XYZ?
  3. Will I get a good job the moment I land in Australia?
  4. Which Australian city is the best place to find jobs?
  5. Which university is the best university?
  6. Will I get make lots of money in Australia and get rich quickly then I can in my home country?
  7. How to make a good resume and answer questions in the interview?
Some other migration related queries that I often see in my mail are

  1. How much time does it take for an application to process?
  2. My profession is on the MODL/CSL; will my application get fast tracked?
  3. When will I get a case officer allocated?
  4. When should I do my medicals and police clearance certificates?

Most of these questions are very open ended questions which cannot be answered in Yes or No, however, since I some how need to address these questions, this article will give a detailed reply to all of the above mentioned questions.

Jobs, resumes, cover letters and Interviews
Universities and courses
Life, people, culture

Keep visiting to read the complete article as I add bits and pieces to it.

Ok lets deal with the first question. What salary will I earn if I have X amounts of work experience with Y number of degrees?

This question is really not hard to answer. There are lots of websites and tools out there which can help you calculate your wages. You can either get hired on a contract basis which means that once the contract finishes the employer is under no obligation to renew your contract. Or you can get hired on a permanent basis which means that you are a permanent employee until you decide to leave, you are made redundant or fired from your job.

Since the risk in a contract is more higher, therefore, the hourly rate is also higher. And since the risk in a permanent job is much lower the hourly rate or annual salary is also lower. So if you are working on a contract, then the rate would be higher and if you are working as a permanent employee your salary would be lower.

Now the big question is how much do I earn......


More to come ...

Migration Agent Registration Number: 0964018

10 comments:

Poo said...

Hi,

The information provided by you about international students is very nice and clear. My husband is join the July intake in griffith University and I shall be travelling may be in december to australia as a Dependent Visa holder.

Is it possible for you to give us some information about this.

Is is easy to get a JOB for me as a dependent Visa?

I am a B.com Grad and have a total of 6 yrs of exp.


Thanks a Lot
Puja

Junaid Noor said...

@Pooja

If your husband is enrolling in a postgraduate degree then you will have full time work rights.

Your job prospects depend upon lots of factors such as your skills, your resume, your ability to present yourself in an interview and your prior work experience.

Since you have 6 yrs of work experience in your field then I am sure it will not be difficult to find a job.

Work on your resume and research job requirements on www.seek.com.au

See what sort of skill demands employers make and if you dont have those skills try to get them.

It will be good if you can get a full time job as you will be able to support your husband who can only work 20 hours per week.

Kind Regards

Junaid

Anonymous said...

I am sure you have have heard about attacks on Indian students in Melbourne and Sydney. The one in Sydney was hit with a petrol bomb at his house, resulting in a 30% burns on his body.

Is this statement true "In sydney if u are Indian, u cant walk alone after 8pm in weekdays and after 5pm in Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays..."

In your many years in Sydney, have you encountered any of the racial abuses? Is it severe in Sydney?

I am going to UTS, arriving there on the 18th July - 2days before the orientation and i am worried and my parents are having second thoughts.

Will it be safe to work part-time at night? Which areas in Sydney should I avoid?

I hope ur answers will calm my worries.

Thank You

Junaid Noor said...

@^^

Well, the attacks which happened are in a crime ridden area and I am sure there is another side to the story. The attacker just didnt decide to pick up a random Indian.

Plus the attackers are mostly not Australians. They are other ethnic races from Fiji, Tonga and surrounding Islands.

As I said its a low income suburb and such things are common in poor areas.

Sydney has good areas and bad ones.


Is this statement true "In sydney if u are Indian, u cant walk alone after 8pm in weekdays and after 5pm in Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays..." Completely false. We just had a big Indian dance party and we all danced till 4 am in the morning.

In your many years in Sydney, have you encountered any of the racial abuses? Is it severe in Sydney? Never.

Will it be safe to work part-time at night? Which areas in Sydney should I avoid?Well I know people who have done odd jobs late at night and have got into trouble and I know people who have not got into trouble.

The best thing is to keep out of trouble by avoiding drunk people, using roads which are dark and empty.

Sydney is just like any other big city with crime problems.

Last of all, whats written is written. Dont worry too much.

Cheers

Junaid

shubhitr said...

hi Junaid!

first of all, thanks a ton for the blog. it has provided me with so much information that i never thought i could. though, i've got few queries,but would get them resolved. I'll be going to Macquarie University for Masters of accounting.. I've my cousin living in Sydney. He told me that a student can't drive a cab in Sydney for first year. is it true??also, if i hold an international license from India, would that make some difference?? I've worked in Call Centres for about a year and a half and posses good communication skill (though not punctuation skills), would my Indian Calling experience help me to grab a job in a call centre or a store?? i know that the questions are many, but hope you can answer ... i'll apply for visa in few days... thanks once again for this help to so many students who tend to seek their carrer and future in Australia... GURU SAHIB bless you mate!!!

if you can, please forward the reply to my e mail address

shubhitr@gmail.com

Regards

Shubhit Singh Bhatia

Junaid Noor said...

@Shubtir

I've my cousin living in Sydney. He told me that a student can't drive a cab in Sydney for first year. is it true??

You can only APPLY for a taxi license in NSW once you have held a NSW class C unrestricted driving license for one year.

also, if i hold an international license from India, would that make some difference??

As an international student you can use your overseas license to drive in Australia. However, you cannot drive taxis.

I've worked in Call Centres for about a year and a half and posses good communication skill (though not punctuation skills), would my Indian Calling experience help me to grab a job in a call centre or a store??

Yes certainly. Instead of driving taxis, try aiming higher and get into call centers.

When you come to Australia let me know. There is a call center near Macquarie Uni where I might get you in.


Kind Regards

Junaid

Joanna Stravinsky said...

Thank you so much for your article. I am still confuse with the fact that an education agent is asking me to pay an extra fee for her services. Is this legal?

Junaid Noor said...

@Joanna

Well if you are going to utilize the services of an education agent then depending upon the policy of the agent, he/she might charge a service fee.

Please note that only registered migration agents can charge for migration related services. Educational agents are not authorised to charge for migration related services.

Kind Regards

Junaid

NaqashCh said...

Dear Junaid N,

I am very happy to see your Blog as well as join with you.

Here I have some questions.

I need help about UTS admission. UTS ask me for Statement of Purpose, Can you please tell me what should I need to provide UTS ???

Thanks
Ch Naqash Maqbool
Sialkot Pakistan

Junaid Noor said...

@Naqash

UTS must have provided you with information on how it wants you to respond to the SOP.

In my days we didnt have SOPs.

Search the internet for SOPs and you will get lots of examples.

Kind Regards

Junaid